User group downturn?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 19:35:44 MST 2012

On Dec 1, 2012, at 6:58 PM, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:
> I'd say, the *biggest* factor is that Linux (GNU/Linux, if you like)
> Just Works. When I first started hitting the list, we were trying to
> do things like get anti-aliased fonts support compiled into our
> browsers and configuring X  with the latest video cards. I can't
> remember the last time I had to try to get hardware to working on
> Linux (RAID cards being the exception, but most of those require work
> on Windows too).
>
> All of that is behind us now. Be happy. Gone are the days when you had
> to have special meeting dedicated to the installation and
> configuration of Linux. Remember how awesome installfests were?
> Remember people carting in their beige tower cases and 21" CRTs?

Ah, it's been a while since I had to research the timing of my CRT monitor to construct a modeline for X to get a good resolution and refresh rate without blowing it up. Not to mention the fact that I haven't had to compile a custom kernel to get some peripheral working in ages. Those were the days!

Linux has got a lot easier, the online support methods have got a lot more comprehensive. Maybe user groups are going the way of the BBS and USENET newsgroup, too. Who knows? I'm sure there will continue to be some sorts of local community interest-driven groups we will be able to use to do cool tech geek stuff together.

    --Levi