User group downturn?

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Sat Dec 1 18:24:30 MST 2012

On 2012-12-01 17:15, Dave Smith wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2012, at 5:10 PM, Jima wrote:
>
>> To be fair, over the last 5+ years I've observed a number of LUGs
>> experience a similar downturn in interest
>
> Indeed, I've seen the same downturn in all groups where I participate. I just happened to use data from PLUG to illustrate the point (no offense intended to PLUG members or leadership, both of which are top notch in my book).
>
>>   What'd you use to generate the graph?
>
> This python script outputs the PLUG stats as CSV, which I pasted into Excel for graphing. You'll need "requests", which is available via pip:

  Thanks for that.  Apparently archiving was broken for a few months,
which skewed the graph pretty badly, but I had other data to fix it.

http://jima.tk/201212/tclug-stats.png

  Based on that, I'd say the downturn happened earlier there, which
suggests StackOverflow may not have played a major role on a broader
scale.  Sadly, I'd say Steve's assessment sounds pretty dead-on.

      Jima