Love or Hate Gnome 3 - was Re: Any experience with firewalld?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 10:34:01 MDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Jacob Albretsen <jakea at xmission.com> wrote:

> > > To name a few items that bugged me:
> > ... Jake's personal preferences based on what he's become accustomed to
> > elided ...
>
> Point taken, everyone, including you and I, grows accustom to their own
> preferences.  However I will point out two items I mentioned, clicking a
> menu
> item and going to the current one vs opening a new one, and the desktop
> behavior was the opposite of the default in behavior in Gnome 2 and became
> quickly irritating when there was no obvious way to change this behavior
> back

Well, I understand the annoyance at things not working the way you expect,
but I think the new behavior is a reasonable default for that kind of
widget (as was the old behavior) and it's also how that kind of widget
behaves on other platforms.  It does take a bit to get used to
middle-clicking to launch a new instance, but for many kinds of apps, you
wouldn't *want* a new instance.

Also, configurability is a feature that takes work to implement.  While
there exist numerous very configurable alternatives, I think it's fine for
Gnome 3 to concentrate on getting a coherent set of functionality designed
and debugged, which is a tremendous amount of work.  I believe that once
it's pretty much feature-complete and people have had a chance to get used
to it, additional functionality and configurability will appear in places
where it's needed.  If not, it'll either get replaced again or forked by
someone willing to add in the configurability that so many people want.

> After using Gnome 3 for several months, my overall feeling of it vs Gnome
> 2 /
> KDE was.... Gnome 2 and KDE have their default behavior and if you want to
> change it, here is a control panel and / or right clicking on something and
> you can QUICKLY modify it to your preferences.  I *felt* like I had a lot
> more
> freedom to choose.  Gnome 3 on the other hand doesn't give obvious doors
> into
> changing a lot of behavior that I was used to being able to change in
> Gnome 2
> and flat out refuses to even offer the options on several things that I
> could
> configure before.  Maybe there was an RPM to do it, maybe not.  I *felt*
> like
> they were choosing a lot of things for me and if I didn't like it, tough
> bunnies.

People had much the same complaint about GNOME 2 when it first appeared.
 People got used to it, and it got extra configurability as it matured.  In
order for new things to mature, they have to be put to use by large groups
of people, so distros have got to push it out at some point or else nothing
will ever get enough momentum to change.

        --Levi