Love or Hate Gnome 3 - was Re: Any experience with firewalld?

Jacob Albretsen jakea at xmission.com
Wed Aug 29 08:32:37 MDT 2012

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 02:43:33 PM Levi Pearson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Jacob Albretsen <jakea at xmission.com>wrote:
> > On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:23:07 AM Levi Pearson wrote:
> > > A feature of Gnome Shell that I really like is the ability to have
> > > one monitor out of a pair have a fixed workspace while the other
> > > switches
> > > between workspaces via the workspace-switching keys or mouse
> >
> > interactions.
> >
> > >  This lets me keep my primary task always in view while I swap between
> > >
> > > secondary tasks, which helps me stay focused on what I'm doing.
> >
> > This was about the only thing I liked about Gnome 3.
>
> > To name a few items that bugged me:
> ... Jake's personal preferences based on what he's become accustomed to
> elided ...

Point taken, everyone, including you and I, grows accustom to their own
preferences.  However I will point out two items I mentioned, clicking a menu
item and going to the current one vs opening a new one, and the desktop
behavior was the opposite of the default in behavior in Gnome 2 and became
quickly irritating when there was no obvious way to change this behavior back.

After using Gnome 3 for several months, my overall feeling of it vs Gnome 2 /
KDE was.... Gnome 2 and KDE have their default behavior and if you want to
change it, here is a control panel and / or right clicking on something and
you can QUICKLY modify it to your preferences.  I *felt* like I had a lot more
freedom to choose.  Gnome 3 on the other hand doesn't give obvious doors into
changing a lot of behavior that I was used to being able to change in Gnome 2
and flat out refuses to even offer the options on several things that I could
configure before.  Maybe there was an RPM to do it, maybe not.  I *felt* like
they were choosing a lot of things for me and if I didn't like it, tough
bunnies.