Embedded developer, what constitutes entry level?

Robert Merrill robertmerrill at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 18:21:44 MDT 2012

On Aug 28, 2012, at 2:52 PM, "S. Dale Morrey" <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:

> The ad states that they want an "Entry Level" embedded developer with
> over 2 years experience.
> My personal opinion is that you get 2 years of experience doing
> anything and you're no longer entry level.

There's lots of different opinions on this of course, Dale. Personally, I think two years of real – world experience is valuable to a new engineer. It takes some of the shine off of the degree a little bit, and forces them to realize they didn't actually learn all there is to learn in school.

"what do you mean there's no garbage collector in C?"

I find, the first two years of a career are really spent unraveling what they thought their career would be like compared to what it actually looks like every day.  After a few "come to Jesus" moments with themselves about who they really want to be when they grow up, they are often a little more committed to the job, as well as a little more willing to take feedback and direction from mentors.