Embedded developer, what constitutes entry level?

Robert Merrill robertmerrill at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 18:13:02 MDT 2012

On Aug 28, 2012, at 3:33 PM, Nicholas Leippe <nick at leippe.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:
>>
>> Time alone doesn't mean anything to me. It totally depends on the
>> person and what they've done with that time.
>
> Agreed. Also, it shouldn't have to be *paid* to qualify as experience.
> I've no doubt there are hobbyists that have far more experience with
> embedded devices than some that are paid to do it.

It does make a difference to the employer if your experience is as a hobbyist or for money. The main difference is, can you ship product that works? On time, under budget?

Of course there are some hobbyists with much better skills and talent than others with top degrees and years of experience. But, in terms of indicators and predictors, work done in a production environment under the stress of deadlines, and with real budgets at risk, is different than work done in your proverbial garage.