Tablet for remote sysadmin

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Tue Aug 28 16:53:32 MDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Levi Pearson <levipearson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an iPad and I really like it, and I have an Android phone that I
> have mixed feelings about, but if I were to spec something as a remote
> admin tool I'd probably pick a netbook over a tablet.  System
> administration, unless you are fiddling with a web-based gui, really works
> better with a physical keyboard.  If the netbooks seem a bit under-specced,
> maybe a chromebook? For reading PDFs or browsing the web or youtube or
> facebook or whatever, tablet wins hands down, though. :)

I second the netbook suggestion.  While tablets are really nice for
many tasks, there are several sysadmin tasks that are difficult or
impossible on a tablet.
* No serial port for programming devices for the first time.
* No ethernet port to plug yourself into a specific switch/VLAN/etc.

However, tablets both Android and iOS can be very handy though.

--lonnie