Tablet for remote sysadmin

Doran L. Barton fozz at hypermoo.com
Tue Aug 28 16:53:19 MDT 2012

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 04:02:07 PM Lloyd Brown wrote:
> At my work, we've been kicking around the idea of using tablets
> (probably Android) as remote sysadmin tools, rather than the linux
> netbooks we currently use.  Since I don't have a tablet myself, I don't
> really know whether or not this is viable or not.  I'm hoping someone on
> the list has tried it, and can say whether its a good idea or not, and why.
>
> Basically, what I need to be able to do is something like this:
> - Web browser
> - IM (XMPP)
> - VPN (either Cisco AnyConnect or OpenVPN)
> - Email
> - SSH
> - remote text editing (vim inside ssh session?)

I'm going to agree with Levi that a netbook/laptop is still the better way to
go. Tablets are maybe 80% there. If you don't have a physical keyboard, it's
going to be painful. That being said, there are bluetooth keyboards and, in
the case of tablets like the Asus Transformer series, dockable keyboards, but
in the case of apps like ConnectBot for Android, the SSH client is still
lacking in some ways and doesn't fully support keyboards like it needs to.

--
Doran L. Barton <fozz at iodynamics.com> - Linux, Perl, Web, good fun, and more!
 "Please place your donation in the envelope along with the deceased person