Any experience with firewalld?

Levi Pearson levipearson at
Tue Aug 28 16:01:52 MDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 02:14:26PM -0600, Levi Pearson wrote:
> > Power users have always had a lot of flexibility and configurability.
> Not anymore. :)

Sure they do.  Gnome 2 is still there, and so is XFCE, and now there are a
couple of *new* options!  Gnome 3 may not be as configurable at the moment
as Gnome 2, but overall there is more configurability.

> > Anti
> > power user attitude is sometimes just pro novice user attitude
> > misinterpreted by upset power users.  You can still install any number of
> > window managers or desktop environments that cater to power users,
> though.
> >  And if power users made less noise about how lame and useless new stuff
> > was, the people who worked on it might be more willing to listen to them
> > with regard to their needs.
> Try reporting a GNOME bug and see if you still feel the same way. :)
If I ever do, I'll let you know.

> > In the end, people work on stuff or fund work that they're interested in.
> >  Hating on the stuff people are interested in tends to be
> > counterproductive.  In the free/open source software world, you can
> either
> > take what you're given with a smile, or you can work to make it more like
> > what you want/need, but even if you don't really like it you're still
> > getting way more than you paid for.
> These days I'm using XFCE with a smile, and I'm hating GNOME on the
> side.  It's the best of both worlds.
See?  Where's the problem?  You got what you wanted, now just let go of
that hate you're harboring needlessly, and you'll be even happier. :)