Love or Hate Gnome 3 - was Re: Any experience with firewalld?

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Tue Aug 28 15:39:50 MDT 2012

On 08/28/2012 03:04 PM, Levi Pearson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Daniel Fussell<dfussell at byu.edu>  wrote:
>
>> On 08/28/2012 02:43 PM, Levi Pearson wrote:
>>> At some point, you went through a lot of effort to learn how to use Linux
>>> and become accustomed to its myriad of annoyances and quirks, presumably
>>> because its associated benefits outweighed those annoyances and quirks.
>> And then the KDE4 and Gnome developers started sniffing paint, and wiped
>> out those benefits in one, fail swoop.
>>
>> Well not all the benefits.  They can pry bash from my cold, dead hands.
>>

> If a friendly user interface is the reason you took the time to learn
> Linux, I'm afraid you might have been the one huffing the paint.  If you're
> referring to something else, I can't see how KDE4 and Gnome could possibly
> have made any difference.  You never had to use them, after all.
>
>         --Levi

Not friendly, but capable, fast, light, powerful, crash-resistant, and
seriously customizable.  "Phenomenal cosmic powers, itty-bitty living
space."  And they didn't hide the terminal.

But now they are bloated, hamstrung, buggy, and pretty (to some).

It seems like the big proprietaries decided couldn't keep Linux off
their tail, so they drove off a cliff thinking it would take out the
major Linux desktops as well.  Sadly, they were right.

;-Daniel Fussell