Embedded developer, what constitutes entry level?

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Tue Aug 28 15:33:25 MDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:

> Time alone doesn't mean anything to me. It totally depends on the
> person and what they've done with that time.

Agreed. Also, it shouldn't have to be *paid* to qualify as experience.
I've no doubt there are hobbyists that have far more experience with
embedded devices than some that are paid to do it.

Furthermore, "embedded" is very ambiguous--I venture to say almost as
much as "cloud". Is it using PIC micro controllers? 8-bit Intel 8051
chips? 16-bit controllers? Full-on 32-bit Arm cpus? Or even full-on
32-bit x86 cpus? Or a system that runs a linux kernel. All can be
considered as an "embedded" environment but have vastly different
OS/software ecosystems. Some will be coding in a mix of assembly and
C, with possibly painful, proprietary development tools, while others
may have the luxury of a bash shell and standard unix tools and a
broad choice of languages for the custom bits.

As for salary, IMO it simply wastes everyone's time if a job posting
doesn't at least provide a salary range. That way someone that needs
to earn more won't bother to apply.