Love or Hate Gnome 3 - was Re: Any experience with firewalld?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 15:15:00 MDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM, John D Jones III <unixgeek1972 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I HATE GNOME 3, the UI/UX just blows. I've never been a GNOME fan really
> in anyway, I started as a KDE user, I was let down with KDE 4.0, but by
> 4.2.0 KDE had won me back, aside from it's 47 Terrabytes of space
> requirements. But 4.8.0, they broke something, it started eating 6gigs
> of RAM on my brand new workstation. So, I switched to Cinnamon, which is
> an option for Linux Mint, and I really liked it, and it was pretty
> stable overall, but the dev cycle between the base libs and the main
> package was inconsistent, muffin would get an upgrade, but cinnamon
> wouldn't and cinnamon wouldn't build with the new muffin update, found
> myself waiting for 2-10 days for the update, or vice versa, now alot of
> this was pkg maintainer issue but there was plenty of times when the git
> repo for one was updated and the others weren't resulting in broken
> builds, so I finally gave up on Cinnamon. It was sad, because it was
> still GNOME 3, but the overall shell was so much better, easy to tweek
> using GJS (A Javascript package that included GTK wrappers, GLib, etc).
> I just couldn't look past the pkg breaking everytime I yaourt -Syyua 'd
> the system. I discovered MATE, which is the Gnome 2 fork... Very clean,
> lightweight and very stable, so i've switched to it 100% and haven't
> looked back... Obviously, I still feel a little dirty running it, since
> it's GNOME 2, but it's so much better than that crap they call GNOME 3.
> Once Cinnamon goes to Community from AUR I'll likely install it and play
> with it again, but I don't see that happening for another couple years.

I don't think you realize how completely unhinged that sounds.  Running
GNOME 2 is a perfectly acceptable thing if that's what you like.  If you
value a clean, simple, low-resource and mature interface that you're used
to, it was probably silly to go building stuff out of git in the first
place.  Enough people prefer GNOME 2 to GNOME 3 that it will likely be
maintained for quite a while, so there's really no need to get so worked up
about it and frantically cast about for something new.

There's got to be a vanguard *somewhere* that can press forward and
innovate and get a reasonable amount of momentum behind new things so that,
as they mature and get more features and get cleaned up a bit, they can
make it back to the more conservative users.  But just because such a
vanguard exists doesn't mean you have to be part of it.

        --Levi