Love or Hate Gnome 3 - was Re: Any experience with firewalld?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 15:00:40 MDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Daniel Fussell <dfussell at byu.edu> wrote:

> I hate how cumbersome it has become to have multiple windows on the
> screen at the same time (or is it even possible?), and the OS X-ish
> window presentation when I want to know what I have open.  Yeah, I could
> alt-tab to see it, but that's just crazy talk.

Speaking of crazy talk, what are you even talking about?  Of course you can
have multiple windows on the screen at once.  Dragging them to the top of
the screen maximizes them, dragging them to one side or the other will make
them fill that half of the screen.  Dragging them around and resizing them
otherwise works exactly as before, although you have to use the right mouse
button to access the minimize feature.

Oh, and if you want multiple terminals?  Middle-click the terminal icon in
the bar, right-click it and select (new terminal), or hit the key combo for
a new terminal.  There's actually a help system that explains how to do all
this.  It takes a couple of minutes to browse through it and a maybe an
hour or two of practice to get comfortable.  It's really not very hard.  If
you still don't like it, fortunately you can install whatever else you like!

I HATE the KDE4 memory leaks a the akonadi/db-backend/nepomuk/stringi
> garbage that's can't be truly killed!  I wasn't too keen on the new
> start menu, but I hardly ever used it before anyway.  The alt-f2 search
> giving results from windows I have open is stupid, I just want to start
> a silly program.  And the buggy, unusable KIO-slaves and systray status
> bars drive me nuts.

Things that don't work the way you are used to are stupid.  Got it.  I
wonder why you keep punishing yourself by trying new windowing environments?

I agree that memory leaks suck, though.  That's definitely a valid
objective complaint, not to say that your subjective complaints aren't
valid for *you*, even if they seem a bit silly to me.

> XFCE seemed a little better, but still kind of a kludge.  KDE Trinity is
> looking better and better all the time, and I may switch back to it when
> I finally give up all hope that KDE devs will stop innovating and start
> fixing what should work.  Dolphin would be particularly hard to give up
> on now.

Yeah, that user interface innovation stuff sucks.  We should still be using
teletypes over serial lines to interact with computers.  Or maybe even
punched cards.  Heaven forbid I ever have to learn anything different!

        --Levi