Love or Hate Gnome 3 - was Re: Any experience with firewalld?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 14:43:33 MDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Jacob Albretsen <jakea at xmission.com>wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:23:07 AM Levi Pearson wrote:
>
> > A feature of Gnome Shell that I really like is the ability to have
> > one monitor out of a pair have a fixed workspace while the other switches
> > between workspaces via the workspace-switching keys or mouse
> interactions.
> >  This lets me keep my primary task always in view while I swap between
> > secondary tasks, which helps me stay focused on what I'm doing.
>
> This was about the only thing I liked about Gnome 3.
>
> To name a few items that bugged me:

... Jake's personal preferences based on what he's become accustomed to
elided ...

> But that's just me and my two cents.

Indeed. Most people get comfortable with things and like them to stay the
same, even if they might prefer something else if they took the time to
become accustomed to it.  I'm bugged by a number of things in Gnome 3, but
I was also bugged by about the same number of things in Gnome 2 and just
about every other computer system I've used.  You either get accustomed to
the annoyances until they don't bother you anymore, you fix them, or you
find something else with a new set of annoyances to try.  Calling out new
stuff as useless crap because it works differently than you're used to or
doesn't have all the features you want yet is counterproductive.

At some point, you went through a lot of effort to learn how to use Linux
and become accustomed to its myriad of annoyances and quirks, presumably
because its associated benefits outweighed those annoyances and quirks.
 Probably you don't even recognize many of those annoyances and quirks as
real problems anymore, as they were either fixed or became unimportant as
you got used to them over time.  Linux was not really all that great of a
system for a long time.  It was missing a lot of features, made a lot of
things harder than they ought to be, and was generally unfriendly.  Lots of
people hated it, called it names, and switched back to using other systems
they were more comfortable with.  Fortunately, though, enough people over
time stuck with it and molded it into something way more useful and way
more friendly than it used to be.

       --Levi