Love or Hate Gnome 3 - was Re: Any experience with firewalld?

Daniel Fussell dfussell at
Tue Aug 28 14:40:35 MDT 2012

On 08/28/2012 11:57 AM, Jacob Albretsen wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:23:07 AM Levi Pearson wrote:
>> A feature of Gnome Shell that I really like is the ability to have
>> one monitor out of a pair have a fixed workspace while the other switches
>> between workspaces via the workspace-switching keys or mouse interactions.
>>   This lets me keep my primary task always in view while I swap between
>> secondary tasks, which helps me stay focused on what I'm doing.
> This was about the only thing I liked about Gnome 3.
> To name a few items that bugged me:
> I hated that when I wanted to open a NEW terminal window, clicking the icon on
> my bar would bring me to the one I already opened.
> I hated that Desktop 4 with my web browser didn't stay Desktop 4 if I closed
> everything on Desktop 3.  Is it a crime to have Desktop 3 empty?
> Yes yes, I know that I can change all this if I can find an RPM that changes
> it.  If my distro has built one.  If not, roll the dice and hope one that
> someone has made one that works.  I hate that too.
> I'm all for lightweight keyboard oriented desktops if that suits you, and they
> are out there.  Gnome (2) and KDE are not lightweight, and those of us that
> choose to use one of them needs to accept that.  If I want to change the
> default functionality of my desktop, I want to be able to right click or go
> into a control panel and check / uncheck a checkbox.  Not have to hunt down an
> RPM that supposedly changes my desktop behavior that my distro may or may not
> have.
> But that's just me and my two cents.
> - Jake
> /*
> PLUG:, #utah on
> Unsubscribe:

I hate how cumbersome it has become to have multiple windows on the
screen at the same time (or is it even possible?), and the OS X-ish
window presentation when I want to know what I have open.  Yeah, I could
alt-tab to see it, but that's just crazy talk.

I HATE the KDE4 memory leaks a the akonadi/db-backend/nepomuk/stringi
garbage that's can't be truly killed!  I wasn't too keen on the new
start menu, but I hardly ever used it before anyway.  The alt-f2 search
giving results from windows I have open is stupid, I just want to start
a silly program.  And the buggy, unusable KIO-slaves and systray status
bars drive me nuts.

I saw gnome-classic in the debian repos the other day, and thought was
thrilled that someone in a user-driven distro was finally paying
attention.  Oh wait, no, it's just Gnome-3 painted to look like Gnome
2.  Still the same lame desktop experience.

XFCE seemed a little better, but still kind of a kludge.  KDE Trinity is
looking better and better all the time, and I may switch back to it when
I finally give up all hope that KDE devs will stop innovating and start
fixing what should work.  Dolphin would be particularly hard to give up
on now.

;-Daniel Fussell