Any experience with firewalld?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 14:14:26 MDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:23:07AM -0600, Levi Pearson wrote:
> > I don't really understand all the hate for GNOME 3 and Unity.
>
> I agree with you that it's nice to experiment with different approaches
> to the desktop.  But in the process, GNOME removed almost all
> configurability and argued that there is no possible rationale for
> wanting to change anything.  For example, you mentioned the "ability to
> have one monitor out of a pair have a fixed workspace."  For a while,
> this was the _only_ way GNOME would handle multiple monitors, so
> "ability" wasn't quite the right word.  Configurability has gotten a
> little bit better with extensions, but there's still a lot missing, and
> the anti-user attitude is still strong.  Just look at the comments
> directed towards users on the bugzilla about not being able to power
> off.

Power users have always had a lot of flexibility and configurability.  Anti
power user attitude is sometimes just pro novice user attitude
misinterpreted by upset power users.  You can still install any number of
window managers or desktop environments that cater to power users, though.
 And if power users made less noise about how lame and useless new stuff
was, the people who worked on it might be more willing to listen to them
with regard to their needs.

In the end, people work on stuff or fund work that they're interested in.
 Hating on the stuff people are interested in tends to be
counterproductive.  In the free/open source software world, you can either
take what you're given with a smile, or you can work to make it more like
what you want/need, but even if you don't really like it you're still
getting way more than you paid for.

       --Levi