Love or Hate Gnome 3 - was Re: Any experience with firewalld?

Ed Felt edfelt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 12:14:47 MDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Jacob Albretsen <jakea at xmission.com>wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:23:07 AM Levi Pearson wrote:
>
> > A feature of Gnome Shell that I really like is the ability to have
> > one monitor out of a pair have a fixed workspace while the other switches
> > between workspaces via the workspace-switching keys or mouse
> interactions.
> >  This lets me keep my primary task always in view while I swap between
> > secondary tasks, which helps me stay focused on what I'm doing.
>
> This was about the only thing I liked about Gnome 3.
>
> To name a few items that bugged me:
>
> I hated that when I wanted to open a NEW terminal window, clicking the
> icon on
> my bar would bring me to the one I already opened.
>
> I hated that Desktop 4 with my web browser didn't stay Desktop 4 if I
> closed
> everything on Desktop 3.  Is it a crime to have Desktop 3 empty?
>
> Yes yes, I know that I can change all this if I can find an RPM that
> changes
> it.  If my distro has built one.  If not, roll the dice and hope one that
> someone has made one that works.  I hate that too.
>
> I'm all for lightweight keyboard oriented desktops if that suits you, and
> they
> are out there.  Gnome (2) and KDE are not lightweight, and those of us that
> choose to use one of them needs to accept that.  If I want to change the
> default functionality of my desktop, I want to be able to right click or go
> into a control panel and check / uncheck a checkbox.  Not have to hunt
> down an
> RPM that supposedly changes my desktop behavior that my distro may or may
> not
> have.
>
> But that's just me and my two cents.
>
> - Jake

I agree with Linus Torvalds.  This article is actually pretty funny.  I was
using xfce because I got sick of all the Gnome and KDE eye candy (I mean
"features") slowing me down.  I thought what he had to say about it was
hilarious:

http://digitizor.com/2011/08/04/linus-torvalds-ditches-gnome-for-xfce/

All I care about are applications that run on X.  I could care less about
the rest, including my desktop.  The simpler, and more stable the better.

--
Sincerely,

C. Ed Felt
edfelt at gmail.com