Any experience with firewalld?

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Tue Aug 28 12:13:38 MDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:23:07AM -0600, Levi Pearson wrote:
> I don't really understand all the hate for GNOME 3 and Unity.

I agree with you that it's nice to experiment with different approaches
to the desktop.  But in the process, GNOME removed almost all
configurability and argued that there is no possible rationale for
wanting to change anything.  For example, you mentioned the "ability to
have one monitor out of a pair have a fixed workspace."  For a while,
this was the _only_ way GNOME would handle multiple monitors, so
"ability" wasn't quite the right word.  Configurability has gotten a
little bit better with extensions, but there's still a lot missing, and
the anti-user attitude is still strong.  Just look at the comments
directed towards users on the bugzilla about not being able to power
off.

There really are some things I like about GNOME, but I can't use it
until they start listening to users and fix design flaws that remove
functionality.  For example, the authentication dialog is designed to
only work on single-user systems.  The bug report for this has been open
for a year or two, and I can't even consider using GNOME 3 until it's
fixed.  The developers don't want to fix the bug because the dialog
wouldn't look as pretty.  Other examples include not being able to open
more than one terminal window, not being able to have a fixed number of
workspaces, etc. (some of which might be addressed by extensions).

I think GNOME 3 has some interesting ideas, and I used it for several
months (on a single-user system).  I could see myself using GNOME 3 in a
couple of years (after a few releases), but current priorities like
GNOME OS make me think I'll always be a "bad user" that GNOME would
rather just be rid of.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/