Love or Hate Gnome 3 - was Re: Any experience with firewalld?

Jacob Albretsen jakea at xmission.com
Tue Aug 28 11:57:01 MDT 2012

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:23:07 AM Levi Pearson wrote:

> A feature of Gnome Shell that I really like is the ability to have
> one monitor out of a pair have a fixed workspace while the other switches
> between workspaces via the workspace-switching keys or mouse interactions.
>  This lets me keep my primary task always in view while I swap between
> secondary tasks, which helps me stay focused on what I'm doing.

This was about the only thing I liked about Gnome 3.

To name a few items that bugged me:

I hated that when I wanted to open a NEW terminal window, clicking the icon on
my bar would bring me to the one I already opened.

I hated that Desktop 4 with my web browser didn't stay Desktop 4 if I closed
everything on Desktop 3.  Is it a crime to have Desktop 3 empty?

Yes yes, I know that I can change all this if I can find an RPM that changes
it.  If my distro has built one.  If not, roll the dice and hope one that
someone has made one that works.  I hate that too.

I'm all for lightweight keyboard oriented desktops if that suits you, and they
are out there.  Gnome (2) and KDE are not lightweight, and those of us that
choose to use one of them needs to accept that.  If I want to change the
default functionality of my desktop, I want to be able to right click or go
into a control panel and check / uncheck a checkbox.  Not have to hunt down an
RPM that supposedly changes my desktop behavior that my distro may or may not
have.

But that's just me and my two cents.

- Jake