Any experience with firewalld?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:23:07 MDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> wrote:

> > In other good news, though, Fedora 18 will support the Mate Desktop
> > packages in the main repos so no more having to use third-party repos
> > just to get a functioning desktop!  Yay.  Long live Gnome 2.
>
> That's very exciting.  Too bad mainstream GNOME has defined away all of
> their users as atypical and unimportant.

I don't really understand all the hate for GNOME 3 and Unity.  I never
really liked the whole 'start button and status bar' paradigm, and I think
it's really encouraging to see some mainstream window managers break the
mold.  Both Gnome Shell and Unity are *very* keyboard oriented, and have
nice default key bindings that are fairly easily rebound if you don't like
them.  A feature of Gnome Shell that I really like is the ability to have
one monitor out of a pair have a fixed workspace while the other switches
between workspaces via the workspace-switching keys or mouse interactions.
 This lets me keep my primary task always in view while I swap between
secondary tasks, which helps me stay focused on what I'm doing.  Both Gnome
Shell and Unity are also pretty good at keeping their controls to a
minimum.  I hate having tons of toolbars and menubars and scrollbars and
beefy window frames taking up all my screen real estate.  GTK's auto-hiding
scroll bars are a nice idea, but they are still a bit awkward to actually
use if you scroll via mouse clicks a lot.

        --Levi