USB Microscopes WAS Re: Cheap webcam for Linux

Joseph Hall perlhoser at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 11:11:58 MDT 2012

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ACKIUO/

It's nothing special, definitely not for anything serious, but it's
fun. Worked out of the box with the mplayer instructions here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Webcam_Setup

I've been taking pictures of salt and spices (because I'm a food nerd
like that). The kids love it too. It has a manual focus dial on the
side which works okay, and adjustable lighting. It also has a button
on the side that I assume is for taking a picture, but I just use the
screen capture key in mplayer.

For $40, it's a good deal. Now if I could find a 1000x microscope with
Linux support, I'd be ecstatic.

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Richard Esplin
<richard-lists at esplins.org> wrote:
> Which microscope? And would you recommend it?
>
> Richard
>
> On Friday August 24 2012 09:58:53 Joseph Hall <perlhoser at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Labtec-961358-0403-WebCam-Pro/dp/B0001OTBUK/
>>
>> The key that I've found is, once you find a camera that looks likely,
>> ask the Googles if it has uvcvideo support. I have a cheap USB
>> microscope that is supported by uvcvideo, and it worked out of the
>> box.
> <snip>

"In order to create, you have to have the willingness, the desire to
be challenged, to be learning." -- Ferran Adria (speaking at Harvard,
2011)