Cheap webcam for Linux

Joseph Hall perlhoser at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 09:58:53 MDT 2012

Not nearly as cheap as the ones you posted (though I got mine for
free), but I've had excellent luck with this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/Labtec-961358-0403-WebCam-Pro/dp/B0001OTBUK/

The key that I've found is, once you find a camera that looks likely,
ask the Googles if it has uvcvideo support. I have a cheap USB
microscope that is supported by uvcvideo, and it worked out of the
box.

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Barry Roberts <blr at robertsr.us> wrote:
> I'm now a few minutes drive from some of my coworkers and I'm looking for a
> cheap webcam that will work OOB with Fedora 17 and MacOS via
> Spark/Openfire.  I'm thinking about something like:
>
> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/compact-usb-pc-webcam-300k-pixel-25948?item=2
> or
> http://www.amazon.com/Hootoo-U19-A-Vision-Webcam-Microphone/dp/B003VY4M42/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345822761&sr=8-3
>
> Anybody have any experience with really low-end webcams?
>
> Thanks,
> Barry

"In order to create, you have to have the willingness, the desire to
be challenged, to be learning." -- Ferran Adria (speaking at Harvard,
2011)