Money management software

Chris Wood chris at tincreek.com
Wed Aug 22 19:45:23 MDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Richard Esplin
<richard-lists at esplins.org>wrote:

> On Wednesday August 22 2012 16:28:21 Chris Wood <chris at tincreek.com>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > youneedabudget.com has an awesome tool from a usage stand point.  The
> > software runs on your local machine, but you can sync your data via
> dropbox
> > to other machines.  You can also set it up on your phone for entry of
> > receipts.  All can be live and do entry at the same time.  I've become a
> > huge fan quickly even with its weaknesses.  (I had to write a CVS
> converter
> > for Zionsbank data download to work well with YNAB.)  If you're serious
> > about budgeting and hate every other tool out there, this may be nirvana.
> >
> > YNAB allows you to do things that the other tools don't do.  My biggest
> > complaint about the way most budgeting tools out there is that it just
> > shows you what happened after the fact.  It doesn't let you plan for the
> > next month and say what the budget should be.  Also, the biggest issue is
> > that if you have saving goals they don't handle it well.  If you wanted
> > save money for a new car and for a vacation AND save the money in the
> same
> > actual bank account, it gets messy.  I think it was Yodlee or Mint that
> > said to go create a separate bank account for every savings goal.  YNAB
> > handles all of this correctly.
>
> Excellent information.
>
> I didn't include You Need a Budget because I didn't see any support for
> Linux. I see now that it is an Adobe Air app. With Adobe dropping Air for
> Linux, what is your long term plan?

I don't use linux on the desktop -- I find it too painful (no flame
intended).  YNAB has a free 34 day trial.  Thirty minutes into it and
you'll realize how weak the other tools are.  I think about three days into
it you'll start to discover some of the impressive features that are a bit
more involved (e.g. what if you have an expense in July that you really
want deducted from your August budget).

I'm curious about some of the other suggestions too.  I'm going to glance
at them.

--
Chris Wood