[OT] Closed Source software and Windows XP

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 22:10:49 MDT 2012

On 08/20/2012 01:28 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> Maybe I missed it, but why not use wine here?

Wine is unlikely to work.  Remember this is a machine that controls
hardware.  With a few exceptions wine doesn't do anything with hardware
(drivers, etc).

Getting Windows re-installed is going to be Gabe's easy job.  Getting
the control software up and running... that will be a bigger trick.

<RANT>Working with instrumentation and control hardware and software
companies is really like going back in time to the bad old days of the
80s.  Copy protection, dongles, etc. It's horrible.  And many
instrumentation companies orphan their hardware as the software moves
on.  You want the new software, well buy the new USB version of the
instrument.  only $100k such a deal.  Also at BYU we had one company
that granted us a perpetual site license for a particular version of
their analysis software 5 years previous, but then refused to grant us
new license files because it was an old version and they'd much rather
we upgraded to the latest version for a mere $10k.  I hacked around this
one using an arcane virtual machine solution to run RH 6.2 underneath
RHEL 5.  I think I used virtuoso containers for this to make it super
light weight and still secure.

Other companies insist on arcane license enforcement strategies when the
fact is that their software is useless without their instrument
hardware.  So their instrument is a big freaking dongle.  Why do they
need a hasp dongle as well?  I know professors are cheapskates but still
it's ridiculous.  sigh.  That's one aspect of the job I don't miss at
all.</RANT>