[OT] Closed Source software and Windows XP

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Mon Aug 20 09:04:22 MDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Steve Meyers <steve-plug at spwiz.com> wrote:
> On 8/20/12 1:23 AM, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
>> The install media is independent of the licensing.
>
> This actually isn't true, in my experience with Windows XP.  They have
> different install media for OEM installs vs retail installs, and the
> media checks for the right kind of key.

Correct; that's the issue. They have an OEM version (I think it might
have SP1 built-in), but it's OEM and the key is tied to the media (I'm
pretty sure it's long gone anyway). It seems that the key (printed on
a sticker and slapped on the case) will only work with the original
install media. Also, I'm pretty sure it does some sort of hardware
check. I'm not sure about that last item.

Gabe