[OT] Wrist Brace recommendations?

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Sun Aug 19 12:02:51 MDT 2012

On 17 Aug 2012, at 10:34, AJ ONeal wrote:

> All that keyboarding and mousing is wearing on me.
>
> My wrists are hurting so I'm looking into getting braces and wondering
> about recommendations.
>
> Some of the reviews online warn that some braces get hot, some don't
> provide enough support, some yada yada. But some of these people are
> athletes or otherwise not in the same programming environment as myself.
>
> Has anyone tried a few different models? Know where I can go to try some on
> rather than buying them straight from amazon?

I agree with the recommendations that address the source of the problem rather than bandaging a symptom.  Ideally you would add some physical activity to your lifestyle that would naturally exercise your hands, wrists, arms (and entire body) so that things like CPS do not affect you.  The lifestyle of sitting in a chair all day long and typing/mousing naturally leads to many of the muscles in the body tending toward atrophy.  After 20 years of it, I am feeling the effects of it more and more.  And I do not like it.  So I have been forcing myself to get away from the computer more often. Even if it is some light Wii Fit Plus Yoga.  Something every day for at least 30 minutes is much better than nothing.

For a fun way to exercise your arms, check out the Dynaflex Powerball:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ebee/

Jonathan