[OT] Wrist Brace recommendations?

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 17:53:03 MDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 7:33 PM, AJ ONeal <coolaj86 at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I'm hearing is that wrist braces are the php of solutions to wrist
> pain: the thing that anyone who doesn't know anything about wrist pain turn
> to because that's what they've heard of before. Dodged the bullet on that
> one.

I wouldn't go that far.  Wrist braces can be great, if they address
the source of the pain.  I used one for a while (not a brace per se,
but I taped my wrist tightly to reduce flexibility during workouts)
after I hyperextended my wrist.  Without a brace I would've had to
stop working out for several months while it healed.  A brace could
also help you at work by keeping your wrist in a more neutral position
and forcing you to move your arm instead.  (Repetitive injuries can be
the result of something you do without noticing it, so a brace can
prevent you from re-injuring yourself while calling attention to the
abnormal movement.)  You might give one a try for a day or two, even
with your new desk placement.  You'd probably be surprised at what a
big difference it makes.

-Dan