[OT] Wrist Brace recommendations?

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Fri Aug 17 11:18:09 MDT 2012

I can't give brace recommendations, but I can give wrist pain recommendations.

I occasionally have wrist pain. These are my strategies to cope:

* Stretches: Good advice already given.

* Take more breaks from typing: Wrist pain is usually a good indicator that I've been in front of the machine too long and am probably stuck in a mental rut. A walk down the street and back will probably help my thinking as much as my wrists.

* Switch my mouse to my other hand: The last few years the pain has only been in one hand. I do this a couple of times a year, and it goes away.

* Use Dvorak / Colemak

The one time early in my career where the pain was very worrying, I took almost a month off of typing and then learned Dvorak (summer break in uni). Besides reducing strain on my wrist, it also forced me to slow my typing speed for long enough that the injury could heal. I think Colemak is an easier keyboard layout to learn, but it won't force the break from intensity.

Richard