cloning running linux machine through network, strategy and tactics

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 17:08:50 MDT 2012

On 08/07/2012 02:49 PM, Ryan Byrd wrote:
> He's imagining something like this:
>
> [root at CurrentlyRunningServer ~]$ rsync -ave ssh --delete /* root at NewServer:/
> --exclude={/etc/sysconfig/*,/dev/*,/proc/*,/sys/*,/tmp/*,/run/*,/mnt/*,/media/*,/lost+found,/home/*/.gvfs}

I've done this many times in the past.  If you pass rsync the "-x" flag
it won't traverse mounted filesystems, so rsync won't clone /sys or
/proc (though it will clone the mount point itself).  Also you will need
to pass the "-H" flag to recreate hard links.

After rsyncing to a new file system you will have to install grub and
write the boot loader, which can be a bit difficult.  I can't remember
the exact procedure, but I'm sure google can help with this.