Gateway login program for kids

Andy Bradford amb-plugg at bradfords.org
Tue Aug 7 01:44:17 MDT 2012

Thus said Alan Young on Mon, 06 Aug 2012 13:13:57 MDT:

> E.g., he logs in. Instead of his regular window manager he's presented
> with  a spelling  test program  where he  has to  spell all  the words
> correctly  before he  can continue.  Once he's  spelled all  the words
> correctly  he can  then go  on to  whatever he  was going  to use  the
> computer for.

Here's  a quick  prototype. Place  it in  the appropriate  place in  the
$HOME/.xsession file (probably  somehwere near the top  before you start
the desktop/window manager).  Or wherever is appropriate  for your login
manager (I use xdm). Something like:

/usr/local/bin/spellguard /usr/share/dict/words || exit

Now, if sg  doesn't exit 0, then  .xsession will exit and  X will logout
the user. If you  press Control-r it will replay the  word. If you press
Control-n it  will pick a  different word (randomly  selected). Pressing
Enter after  typing a word  will trigger a spell  check and it  says the
word that you typed (or at least tries). Control-c causes the word to be
repeated, however, it  outputs the word to stderr (which  should show up
in the $HOME/.xsession-errors file so you  can inspect it remotely if he
simply cannot spell the word).

You can provide a path to your own list of words. If you want to provide
a sentence  that uses the word,  then place the sentence  after the word
separated by a tab. e.g.,

house	The house is falling, the house is falling.

It depends  only on  Tcl/Tk and  espeak (a command  line text  to speech
tool). Probably best to use sentences with the words because sometimes a
single word in espeak is difficult to understand.

Enjoy.

Andy