Gateway login program for kids

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Mon Aug 6 16:58:59 MDT 2012

On 08/06/2012 04:42 PM, Sasha Pachev wrote:
>> Do you think we can modify this so that I have to do push-ups before my
>> computer will unlock?
> Actually this is doable. Get a force plate, write a custom driver for
> it that recognizes the push-up force pattern.
>
> It would be even possible to make it so that you have to go for a run
> before you computer unlocks. You will have to run with a smart phone -
> we read the GPS + accelerometer. And we can even check to see if this
> was actually a run, not a bike ride or a car ride - accelerometer is
> going to read something very different if you did not run.
>
> An elementary school kid could possibly figure out a way to hack
> around things, but if he does, it proves that he knows how to spell
> when it matters. All shell commands and programming language keywords
> have to be spelled perfectly, or it will not work.
>
> That said, I think spelling lists are a less effective way to teach a
> child to spell.

Ok, how about forcing the kid to take a spelling test _while_ running
around the backyard?  ;-)

> We home school, never bothered with those, our kids
> spell fine by the age of 12. I also had to learn to spell in English
> relying on my own efforts ( at a more advanced age), and never used
> the lists. I just read a lot, and when I wrote I made sure I was sure
> that I was spelling it right or else I would check the dictionary. My
> spelling ended up being good enough to not offend O'Reilly, so I
> figure my efforts were mostly successful at least for my purposes.

Agreed; my son doesn't study the lists, he already passes the class
spelling tests due largely to his early interest in reading.  The
problem now is he no longer wants to read, let alone read the books on
his level; instead of playing video games all the time, or running
around the house, driving everyone crazy.

Grazie,
;-Daniel Fussell