Gateway login program for kids

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 16:33:34 MDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Daniel Fussell <dfussell at byu.edu> wrote:

> The general idea feels a little like a form of multi-factor
> authentication, and I'm wondering if a PAM module (maybe pam_script or
> pam_exec) would be able to do this.  I haven't messed around with my PAM
> config much, so there's also the question of if it could be used for
> this purpose.  If those didn't cut it, maybe a new "pam_quiz" module
> could do it.

I'm not sure if you saw, but I did bring up the idea of using a PAM module
earlier.  I do think it's possible, as the PAM system has a pretty general
idea of 'conversation' in its process of performing its actions.  I even
found a sample where someone implemented a CAPTCHA-style PAM quiz module
that would ask you a series of simple math questions to ensure you weren't
an automated script.  It was really rough, but seemed to demonstrate that
the idea could work.

Getting a usable interface between the PAM module and the
quiz-administering program could be tricky, but it seems very doable for
someone with the inclination to do it.