Wifi routers dropping [was Re: Who's the new WRT on the block?]

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Mon Aug 6 14:25:34 MDT 2012

On 08/03/2012 12:24 PM, Robert Merrill wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2012, at 12:12 PM, AJ ONeal<coolaj86 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Since the last time I bought a WRT54G-TM
> Hijacking thread:
>
> This reminds me. I have a netgear wifi router that's been pretty good to me. I've had linksys routers, etc with similar issues.
>
> Every week or so, the router goes offline. No wifi client can connect, though ethernet still runs. At least the green blinky lights tell me things are happening...
>
> Unplug/replug resets everything and all is well at Hogwarts once again until the next time.
>
> I have likely 10 devices connecting via wifi regularly, spiking to 15 perhaps. WPA2 encryption with a strong passphrase, and on the other side of the router, fiber uplink.
>
> Could I be jamming the box with too much data flow? I have Netflix on two TVs, and a dvr connected for streaming (sling box) and iPad movies, etc. plus computers with kids attached to them = high bandwidth.
>
> Any thoughts??

I've been having the same problem of wifi not connecting even though
wired connections continue working.  I found a forum suggesting that
high udp connection counts, such as those used in bittorrent clients,
triggered the issue and reducing the UDP session timeout fixes it.  I
changed my UDP timeout from 5 minutes to 15 seconds and haven't had a
problem since.  I don't know if it would also be triggered by streams
from network games or Netflix as my kids aren't there yet and Netflix
doesn't support my OS, but it might be something to look at.

I suspect the UDP timeout is not a configurable option on vendor router
software, so you may need an alternative ROM before you can change it.

Grazie,
;-Daniel Fussell