Gateway login program for kids

John Shaver bobjohnbob at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 13:46:03 MDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Levi Pearson <levipearson at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's not much point in doing anything really complex, as you'd have to
> jump through a lot of hoops to lock someone with physical access to the
> computer out from undoing things.  The simplest thing is probably to modify
> the login session to start the quiz program full-screen with no window
> decorations, possibly even before the window manager launches.  Make it
> easier and faster to do the quiz than to try to find a way around it, or it
> will be pretty worthless.
>
>         --Levi

Don't forget he is talking about spelling words for his son.  This
likely means he is in early elementary school (at least I was that
young the last time I had a list of spelling words.   So he likely
won't have to do to much to prevent someone this young from getting
around it.

Heck, if it were my son, I'd be happier if he found a way around it
than if he went and spelled all the words.  I'd still make him learn
his spelling words, but learning to hack is an important skill too :)

--John