Wifi routers dropping [was Re: Who's the new WRT on the block?]

Eric Olsen falconv at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 14:39:56 MDT 2012

On Aug 3, 2012, at 12:12 PM, AJ ONeal <coolaj86 at gmail.com>  wrote:
> Every week or so, the router goes offline. No wifi client can connect,
though ethernet still runs. At least the green blinky lights tell me things
are happening...

> Unplug/replug resets everything and all is well at Hogwarts once again
until the next time.
I seem to recall experiencing a similar issue. I don't recall if it was the
same exactly, but very similar if not the same. A firmware update fixed my
issue though. It was a very new router, and when I contacted Netgear the
guy said they had similar issues that were fixed in the next release (due
out soon), so he sent it to me and it worked.

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Nicholas Leippe <nick at leippe.com> wrote:
> Is it running linux? Can you get a shell on it to diagnose things?
Most (pretty sure all in the past few years at least, not sure when this
started) Netgear routers can have SSH enabled on them with a utility - see
http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/10602/NETGEAR-Telnet-Enable-Utility/

Troubleshooting this type of issue is beyond my skill level, but hopefully
you can use this to figure something out. Good luck.

-Eric