Wifi routers dropping [was Re: Who's the new WRT on the block?]

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Fri Aug 3 12:37:05 MDT 2012

Could be a lot of things.

15 devices on an inexpensive wifi router *should* work, but if they are pulling a lot of data and you have interference from random noisy things (or even neighbors - I have 18x 802.11G hotspots that show up at my house, and I am not in apartments, etc (aka, not in high density housing).  Only about 7 houses within range), it may very well cause issues.

I was having some massive channel fights with my neighbors until I upgraded to N.  Less of them have that, plus it is a smaller transmit area and broader frequency range, so less conflicts.

Your mileage may vary.

-Steve