Wifi routers dropping [was Re: Who's the new WRT on the block?]

Robert Merrill robertmerrill at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 12:24:51 MDT 2012

On Aug 3, 2012, at 12:12 PM, AJ ONeal <coolaj86 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since the last time I bought a WRT54G-TM

Hijacking thread:

This reminds me. I have a netgear wifi router that's been pretty good to me. I've had linksys routers, etc with similar issues.

Every week or so, the router goes offline. No wifi client can connect, though ethernet still runs. At least the green blinky lights tell me things are happening...

Unplug/replug resets everything and all is well at Hogwarts once again until the next time.

I have likely 10 devices connecting via wifi regularly, spiking to 15 perhaps. WPA2 encryption with a strong passphrase, and on the other side of the router, fiber uplink.

Could I be jamming the box with too much data flow? I have Netflix on two TVs, and a dvr connected for streaming (sling box) and iPad movies, etc. plus computers with kids attached to them = high bandwidth.

Any thoughts??