Any way to search the mailing list archives?

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Fri Apr 27 12:08:22 MDT 2012

On 04/27/2012 10:54 AM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 04/27/2012 09:27 AM, Lonnie Olson wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Michael Torrie<torriem at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I'm trying to find our last discussion on domain name registrars, but I
>>> can't find a good way to search this list archives.  Have I missed
>>> anything on plug.org's site, or maybe my google fu is failing me?
>> Just use Google.
>>
>> "site:plug.org rhel"
> Are you suggesting "rhel" is a keyword that will return name registrar
> threads?  Cause I already tried "site:plug.org domain name registrars"
> and got nothing relevant.  I got a 2006 thread as the second hit.  Not
> terribly relevant anymore.  When I tried to restrict the hits to last
> year, google turns up nothing.  I should try bing as Google is sucking
> more and more at returning relevant links.  Google used to be great for
> linux results,

I yearn for the days when my search page had only a simple text field,
an image, and 2 search buttons; and when the result list was just as
simple and helpful.  Then they started sticking their fingers in
everyone else's pie, tasting each one repeatedly.  Now a 500MHz ARM
processor isn't enough to render the simplified mobile search page in
under 60 seconds, let alone the results.  I'm beginning to think wading
through the unsorted results from AOLs' original Webcrawler would be
faster and easier.  Or even surfing semi-random links directly.

Yes, Google is now the Walmart of the Internets, and has gone down the
series-of-tubes.  I'm half tempted to start an open-source, distributed
search engine akin to SETI at home.

;-Daniel Fussell