Webdev: the times, they are a changin'

Andy Bradford amb-plugg at bradfords.org
Thu Apr 19 23:14:44 MDT 2012

Thus said Andrew McNabb on Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:04:23 MDT:

> Vim really doesn't  suck for Python. I  use shift-v and >  to indent a
> block and shift-v and  < to dedent. How is this  any harder than going
> and adding the  close brace? The hard part is  figuring out where your
> block ends, and you have to do that in any editor.

Very nice, if you're using vim and have shift-v, otherwise...

You can use an ex command just  as easily. Mark the beginning and ending
text (m)---which as you have noted has to be done regardless---and:

:'a,'b>

This is probably better than just blindly inserting tabs as I previously
suggested.

Or, if you can estimate the number of lines in the block. Assuming there
are 10 lines, just do:

10>j

If you're wrong, press u and do again with the right number. :-)

At any  rate, I think we've  shown that editing block  indent changes in
Python is not insuperable.

Andy