Webdev: the times, they are a changin'

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Apr 19 04:22:40 MDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 21:26 -0600, Dave Smith wrote:
> Instead, you get an error for a missing \ character when wrapping a long line.
>
> Does anyone know how to make Vim auto-indent Python code as well as it
> does C++ code? I keep finding edge cases where Vim screws up (both
> with auto-indent and code folding).

Sounds like you're trying to cut across the grain. Adding a \ should
rarely be necessary. When writing long lines there's often a () or []
you can take advantage of instead of using \. If you're getting long
lines as a result of deep nesting, that's a sign it's time to refactor.

As for vim, all I use is:
set autoindent
filetype plugin indent on

Not perfect, but good enough for most lines. I don't think it's possible
to get vim to do a great job of indenting or folding because it was
designed to work best with C-like languages.