Webdev: the times, they are a changin'

Joshua Marsh joshua at themarshians.com
Wed Apr 18 21:51:34 MDT 2012

2012/4/18 Jason Hall <jayce at lug-nut.com>

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:
> > At the risk of sounding like a jerk, or at least an ignoramus, may I
> humbly suggest that you haven't looked hard enough?
> >
> > I have strong anecdotal data to support my suggestion.
> >
> > --Dave
>
> Agreed, and the increasing number of recruiters calling, I see it as
> an open field ATM.

One big part of "compensation" for me is working from home. I love the
freedom and schedule I can keep. I've received several offers in the last
year, most of them though require me to be in the office. My priorities
tend to be: Work from home > salary > benefits > dealing with the
man. Where I work does an amazing job in keeping up with salary and
benefits, so unless another company comes around that offers working from
home, it's going to be hard to jump ship.

You may be right about me not looking hard enough though. I tend to only
look around when I'm disgruntled. I also agree we are in a good market for
senior level Linux engineers. I think in the last year I applied for 4 jobs
and received offers from 3.