Webdev: the times, they are a changin'

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Wed Apr 18 20:34:14 MDT 2012

On 4/18/2012 8:26 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> Case in point.  Ever had code you wrote a couple of months ago, you
> went back and looked at and now you have no clue anymore how or why it
> works?
No, actually.  I comment anything larger than a few dozen lines, I don't
work in Perl really (zing!), and I have a good long-term memory (which
is aided by the fact that I don't write a ton of code every day).  I
still have C/C++ code from when I was 16 that I recall exactly how it
works (most of that is a MUD, just so we don't think I'm making a big
boast here).

I imagine if I was a real programmer, I'd have more of that issue,
though.  I do sometimes misplace files, or have entire directories that
I archive and then forget exist, and find a few years later and wonder
what they were there for.  I imagine this is a similar mechanic.

-Tod Hansmann