Webdev: the times, they are a changin'

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Tue Apr 17 14:07:36 MDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com> wrote:
> There's my overall feel, what's yours?  (Gundy's going to be in here for
> django, I'm sure.  I'm all for it, if it would just get out of the way
> with it's apps and its huge learning curve)  How would you make web dev
> fun and easy and stable again?  (As stable as web dev ever gets, I suppose)

I'll chime in, but I will not toe the line. Besides, everyone already
knows Django is the right answer :)

But seriously, there are great web frameworks and tools for nearly
every language. Find the language that you like, get to know the 2 or
3 top web frameworks and pick one of them. Web dev is sooo better than
it was 10+ years ago. It can actually be fun :)

With regard to Django changing too often: 1) I've never personally had
an issue with it 2) I welcome progress and will pay the small price
for it 3) They're careful to document backwards incompatible changes
and always give a sane migration path and 4) Nearly every version adds
things I've been wanting and makes my code base smaller and easier to
manage.

Also, any framework is going to have *some* overhead getting to know
it; it's the price you pay to get started. It pays off time and time
again.

Happy hacking!

Best,
Gabe