Webdev: the times, they are a changin'

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Tue Apr 17 12:25:58 MDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com> wrote:
> I'd love if there was a holy grail here, but I am not naive to think I
> can have it all.

There is no holy grail.  Not because it hasn't been found yet, but
because it doesn't exist.
It never existed, and never will exist.  Technology advances faster
than we can perfect it.

For webdev, you just need to find the sweet spot that most closely
matches your goals.
Your goals may be different than other people, so you can't count
*only* on the advice of
others.  Consider all languages, frameworks, and platforms.  Compare
all aspects,
weighted to your goals:  flexibility, scalability, readability,
performance, progress, etc.
But it's important to ignore your unfounded biases:
* a django blog can be done in 5 min, even for a n00b
* PHP can scale very well, see wordpress.com
* perl can work very well, mod_perl, Catalyst, etc.