Webdev: the times, they are a changin'

Jason Van Patten jason at infogenix.com
Tue Apr 17 09:40:03 MDT 2012

On 4/17/2012 7:42 AM, Tod Hansmann wrote:
> On 4/17/2012 2:21 AM, Bryan Petty wrote:
>> Embrace the change, unless you just like making ironic complaints
>> about wanting something new and different. Regards, Bryan Petty
> To be clear: my goal has been to get other perspectives than my own, and
> hopefully enhance my understanding so when I make obviously sensational
> statements like "web dev sucks," they will be more informed.  Thus the
> irony was intentional, not meant to be offend.
>
> I might also note that I totally use django at home.  At work, however,
> we're not a web dev shop, and nobody is going to be able to quickly pick
> up django to make a quick modification to the app 4 months from now if
> I'm dead or something.  Furthermore, if the django team decides to
> wildly change things in their new dot release, which also has all the
> security fixes, it becomes a potential risk point that is fairly new in
> the web development world.  (Remember the huge to-do when PHP 5 came
> out, and their object model barely worked, and it broke everything and
> everyone you held dear? Then PHP 5.1 fixed a lot of that, but re-broke
> everything you had?  Good times, man.  Good times.)
>
> I'd love if there was a holy grail here, but I am not naive to think I
> can have it all.  I just know PLUG has a lot of diverse and in-depth
> perspectives on a lot of these areas.  So far it's yielded a lot of
> great information!  Including Bryan's here.  Thanks to everyone, keep it
> rolling.
>
> Cheers,
> -Tod Hansmann

I come from a solid perl background and i do have a vote for perl, but
after seeing PHP programmers learn perl I have to warn you there will be
growing pains for those who only know php. Perl seems awkward to most
php programmers i know and they tend to struggle with mvc concepts. Your
office can hopefully avoid that pitfall. One thing i have noticed though
with PHP programmers is they tend to know javascript to a decent degree.
For that reason and that reason alone i would suggest node.js. Yes it is
very capricious due to it's youth, but it's fast and doesn't have the
learning curve for php->anything else because php programmers usually
know it already. The other nice thing about it is that you can run it
simultaneously with your php with minimal server impact and slowly
migrate current functionality into your new framework.

Jason