Webdev: the times, they are a changin'

Dan Stovall dbstovall at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 08:01:16 MDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com>wrote:

> PLUG peeps,
>
> Python:  Django and Pylons are both overcomplicated and constantly
> changing.  (Is it just a python thing in general to wildly change your
> codebase on a whim?)  I like Django, I've worked with it, but if I
> wanted to write a blog, right now, I could do it from scratch in a few
> hours with PHP if I knew nothing of PHP (or in my sister's case when she
> did so, any programming at all), or I could spend the next 4 days
> learning django enough to start actually writing the code for my blog in
> python, and then wonder how the heck it's getting executed under all
> those layers.
>
> There's my overall feel, what's yours?  (Gundy's going to be in here for
> django, I'm sure.  I'm all for it, if it would just get out of the way
> with it's apps and its huge learning curve)  How would you make web dev
> fun and easy and stable again?  (As stable as web dev ever gets, I suppose)

A while ago I looked at web2py <http://www.web2py.com>.  It was originally
built by a professor as a tool to teach some web application design
principles.  We ended up going with Django because there just wasn't a lot
of information about anyone using it in production for anything large scale
like we were looking for.  Django seemed to be a little bit more
"enterprisey".  However, I remember being pretty impressed with how easy it
was to get up and running.  It seemed pretty powerful and simple.  If I
were starting out a new project I would definitely take a look at it again.

Dan