Webdev: the times, they are a changin'

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Tue Apr 17 07:42:35 MDT 2012

On 4/17/2012 2:21 AM, Bryan Petty wrote:
> Embrace the change, unless you just like making ironic complaints
> about wanting something new and different. Regards, Bryan Petty
To be clear: my goal has been to get other perspectives than my own, and
hopefully enhance my understanding so when I make obviously sensational
statements like "web dev sucks," they will be more informed.  Thus the
irony was intentional, not meant to be offend.

I might also note that I totally use django at home.  At work, however,
we're not a web dev shop, and nobody is going to be able to quickly pick
up django to make a quick modification to the app 4 months from now if
I'm dead or something.  Furthermore, if the django team decides to
wildly change things in their new dot release, which also has all the
security fixes, it becomes a potential risk point that is fairly new in
the web development world.  (Remember the huge to-do when PHP 5 came
out, and their object model barely worked, and it broke everything and
everyone you held dear? Then PHP 5.1 fixed a lot of that, but re-broke
everything you had?  Good times, man.  Good times.)

I'd love if there was a holy grail here, but I am not naive to think I
can have it all.  I just know PLUG has a lot of diverse and in-depth
perspectives on a lot of these areas.  So far it's yielded a lot of
great information!  Including Bryan's here.  Thanks to everyone, keep it
rolling.

Cheers,
-Tod Hansmann