Webdev: the times, they are a changin'

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Mon Apr 16 22:04:51 MDT 2012

On 4/16/2012 9:02 PM, Jon Jensen wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012, Jason Hall wrote:
>
>>> Perl:  Well, I've been looking at this.  It's still good, but it's
>>> still the old CGI model.  There's progress with PSGI, but it's all
>>> very experimental, or if not considered such, doesn't work with
>>> Apache at all (or is just a veneer over CGI/FastCGI).  mod_psgi
>>> is... less than mature.  So I guess if I'm going back to CGI, I'm
>>> fine, but that's not "the modern way", is it?  Maybe this is
>>> stable/mature for Perl?  I've never been part of Perl culture, so I
>>> don't know.
>>
>> wait, what? old CGI model?
>>
>> This is Perl, there are more web frameworks than you can shake a
>> stick at. Ones that are truly perlish, others that are clones of
>> whatever flavor you like from any other language. And most all plug
>> into mod_perl if you want apache for the most powerful combination
>> you can get. nginex and others work as well.
>>
>> Whether you want a modern kitchen sink tool like Catalyst, embedded
>> code like Mason, toolkits like CGI::Ex. There is a wide variety of
>> very mature options.
>
> Yes, and Plack/PSGI are not experimental or new. They work well with
> Apache, lighttpd, or nginx, using standard HTTP proxying to a daemon
> running in Starman or Twiggy:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Starman
> http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Twiggy
>
> Aside from what Jayce mentioned, for getting started quickly and
> keeping it relatively simple, Dancer and Mojolicious are very popular
> and well-supported:
>
> http://perldancer.org/
> http://mojolicio.us/
>
> IMHO there's nothing wrong with writing CGIs for truly lightweight
> stuff you don't want a daemon for, but I wouldn't use the old core CGI
> modules for new code.
>
> Jon

This is all very good information I'm pouring over.  (This is what not
being a Perl guy does, I suppose.  It gives you very little exposure to
these sorts of things).  I've seen some reference in some presentations
and articles, but always in reference to FastCGI or WSGI (with a couple
mod_perl references that seemed to push for going the FastCGI route
instead).  Thanks for all the links.  I will be familiarizing myself
here for a while, I think.

-Tod Hansmann