Webdev: the times, they are a changin'

Joshua Marsh joshua at themarshians.com
Mon Apr 16 21:45:39 MDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 20:40, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com>wrote:

> Python:  Django and Pylons are both overcomplicated and constantly
> changing.  (Is it just a python thing in general to wildly change your
> codebase on a whim?)  I like Django, I've worked with it, but if I
> wanted to write a blog, right now, I could do it from scratch in a few
> hours with PHP if I knew nothing of PHP (or in my sister's case when she
> did so, any programming at all), or I could spend the next 4 days
> learning django enough to start actually writing the code for my blog in
> python, and then wonder how the heck it's getting executed under all
> those layers.

I think there is a big difference between a programming language (PHP) and
a web framework (Django). It's really easy to transfer from something like
C to PHP because you can write junk like:

echo "<html>...</html>";

Sure you'll be done in a few hours, but it will be much more complicated
for anyone else who didn't write it to manage it. Web frameworks like
Django try to solve the problem by forcing you into a MVC framework. It
would be more accurate to compare Django with something like Zend. I was
doing PHP for years when my company decided to use Zend for one of our
apps. It was a nightmare for months until we all got used to how to use it
properly. Web frameworks have a steep up front learning curve, but if you
are doing it regularly, it may be better in the end for you and for the
person who takes over after you.

If you want a lighter python web framework, you could try
http://cherrypy.org/. About all it does requires you to do is properly map
functions to web addresses. Otherwise you can do whatever you want (more
PHP style). It even has a WSGI server, so you can put your code into
production with just a few lines of code.