Webdev: the times, they are a changin'

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Mon Apr 16 21:02:42 MDT 2012

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012, Jason Hall wrote:

>> Perl:  Well, I've been looking at this.  It's still good, but it's
>> still the old CGI model.  There's progress with PSGI, but it's all very
>> experimental, or if not considered such, doesn't work with Apache at
>> all (or is just a veneer over CGI/FastCGI).  mod_psgi is... less than
>> mature.  So I guess if I'm going back to CGI, I'm fine, but that's not
>> "the modern way", is it?  Maybe this is stable/mature for Perl?  I've
>> never been part of Perl culture, so I don't know.
> wait, what? old CGI model?
> This is Perl, there are more web frameworks than you can shake a stick
> at. Ones that are truly perlish, others that are clones of whatever
> flavor you like from any other language. And most all plug into mod_perl
> if you want apache for the most powerful combination you can get. nginex
> and others work as well.
> Whether you want a modern kitchen sink tool like Catalyst, embedded code
> like Mason, toolkits like CGI::Ex. There is a wide variety of very
> mature options.

Yes, and Plack/PSGI are not experimental or new. They work well with
Apache, lighttpd, or nginx, using standard HTTP proxying to a daemon
running in Starman or Twiggy:

Aside from what Jayce mentioned, for getting started quickly and keeping
it relatively simple, Dancer and Mojolicious are very popular and

IMHO there's nothing wrong with writing CGIs for truly lightweight stuff
you don't want a daemon for, but I wouldn't use the old core CGI modules
for new code.

Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation