Webdev: the times, they are a changin'

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Mon Apr 16 21:02:42 MDT 2012

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012, Jason Hall wrote:

>> Perl:  Well, I've been looking at this.  It's still good, but it's
>> still the old CGI model.  There's progress with PSGI, but it's all very
>> experimental, or if not considered such, doesn't work with Apache at
>> all (or is just a veneer over CGI/FastCGI).  mod_psgi is... less than
>> mature.  So I guess if I'm going back to CGI, I'm fine, but that's not
>> "the modern way", is it?  Maybe this is stable/mature for Perl?  I've
>> never been part of Perl culture, so I don't know.
>
> wait, what? old CGI model?
>
> This is Perl, there are more web frameworks than you can shake a stick
> at. Ones that are truly perlish, others that are clones of whatever
> flavor you like from any other language. And most all plug into mod_perl
> if you want apache for the most powerful combination you can get. nginex
> and others work as well.
>
> Whether you want a modern kitchen sink tool like Catalyst, embedded code
> like Mason, toolkits like CGI::Ex. There is a wide variety of very
> mature options.

Yes, and Plack/PSGI are not experimental or new. They work well with
Apache, lighttpd, or nginx, using standard HTTP proxying to a daemon
running in Starman or Twiggy:

http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Starman
http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Twiggy

Aside from what Jayce mentioned, for getting started quickly and keeping
it relatively simple, Dancer and Mojolicious are very popular and
well-supported:

http://perldancer.org/
http://mojolicio.us/

IMHO there's nothing wrong with writing CGIs for truly lightweight stuff
you don't want a daemon for, but I wouldn't use the old core CGI modules
for new code.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen